Chicken is one of the staple foods for all the non-vegetarians around the globe. There are innumerable ways in which chicken can be made. To break the monotony and to ensure that you get a different taste each time, you can always experiment with new ideas and make different dishes. Apart from cooking chicken or baking it, there are ways in which you can prepare some delicious, healthy and calorie free ideas and one of the main ones is the preparation of salads. Chicken salad is one of the classy recipes that have been on the rack for decades now. You must have definitely eaten some or the other form of chicken salad when you were young.
However, there are different variations in which the salad can be prepared and one of the best ways is mentioned below.
The food guide has one of the easy and yummy recipes of preparing a bowl of chicken salad in just 10 minutes! Check out how:
Way to Make Chicken Salad
- Cooked Chicken Meat: 2-3 cups, chopped coarsely
- Red Bell Pepper: 1/2 chopped
- Celery: 2 Stalks, chopped
- Red Onion: ¼ cup chopped
- Green Olives: 4-6, pitted, minced
- Apple: ½ cored, chopped
- Iceberg Lettuce: 1/3 chopped
- Mayonnaise: 5 tablespoons
- Sweet Berry Preserve/Honey: 1 tablespoon or less
- Lemon Juice: 2 teaspoons
- Salt and pepper : to taste
Method of Preparation:
To Poach the Chicken:
Take the pieces of the boneless chicken breasts and cut it into large sized pieces. Boil some water separately with some salt and once done switch off the heat. The chicken pieces should be added to this water and covered well. This should be left for about 15 minutes and then strain the chicken pieces and cut it into smaller versions for the salad.
Preparing the Salad:
Take all the mentioned vegetables and prepare them and chop well before you start making the salad. Once done, you need to toss all of them in a large bowl along with the poached/cooked chicken.
In a smaller bowl, prepare the dressing of the salad separately. Here, the mayonnaise, lemon juice and the sweet berry preserve or honey needs to be mixed together. This will ensure that along with sweetness, you also get a tangy and acidic flavour in the salad. Make sure that the dressing is neither too sweet nor too sour. It is best recommended that you taste the dressing before adding it to the vegetables and the chicken mixture. Add more lemon juice or sweet berry preserve to either balance the acidity or the sweetness respectively. To this also add some salt and pepper for enhancing the taste and flavour.
Now add the dressing to the chicken and vegetables and stir well but gently. To this you can add some more salt and pepper according to the taste you want. Your chicken salad is ready to be serves or eaten.
This is one of the simplest and one of the delicious ways to enjoy some healthy and great chicken salad.
Tips to Remember:
1. Make sure all the vegetables as well as the chicken are fresh. Anything stale will degrade the taste as well as contaminate the food. Fresh vegetables and chicken will ensure good nutrients and health to the body.
2. The mayonnaise is best prepared at home but if you can’t then you can use the one available in the market that has low calories. You can also experiment with variety like garlic mayonnaise.
3. In case you do not find berry preserve, honey is the next bst option for adding the sweet twist to the salad.